Pres. Henry B. Eyring - Newly called 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency. I felt it was important to begin with Pres. Eyring because he gave me a boost in the right direction concerning my journaling. I've kept a journal for years. However, I've turned it - quite honestly - into a rant session each evening. I've decided to take to heart his guidance, "at the close of each day to reflect more on Heavenly Father's hand in my life." I have a new goal to record and be aware of the daily blessings I receive as a Wife, Mother, Sister, Friend and Homemaker. (in that order - ha!)
Pres. Quentin L. Cook is the newest called member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I believe the title of his talk will be "Live by Faith, not Fear." If not, I still think it's pretty catchy. :-)How to raise righteous children:
1) Follow the Prophet
2) Create a true spirit of the gospel in our hearts and home
3) Be a light to those whom we live
4) Focus on ordinances and principles taught in the temple.
"We can raise righteous children anywhere in the world if we practice righteous principles in the home."
Julie B. Beck is the General Relief Society President. How grateful I am for this 'Pep Talk'. She invigorated me. She definitely listed for me some areas of improvement. The topic of her talk was "Mother's who know. . .their worth, their importance, their power"One part of her talk that had the congregation giggling: "Our homes should be Pre-Mission Training Centers. That way when our children arrive to the MTC it will be a review, not a revelation." Pretty clever.
Pres. Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I love hearing the words of Elder Oaks. I look forward to when he speaks. I confess he won my devotion since his Conference Talk in 1991 entitled, "Joy".(I know, I know - easy now)
This talk was no exception. I listened to this talk intently, then replayed it to take notes. I believe the title of this talk should probably be "Good, Better, Best." He stated that just because something is good is not reason enough to do it. There is just not enough time for us to do everything available to us that is good. This talk was great advise for prioritizing our families needs. He said, for our children, the best use of time is one-on-one with a loving parent.
Eating dinner together as a whole family will increase the children achedemically. (What a blessing). And, he got resounding laughter by stating "What your children really want for dinner is YOU."

And finally, I just love this quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley that Pres. Oaks referenced in his talk:
***Just Added 10/22/07***
After President Hinckley finished with the sustaining of the officers of the church during the Saturday morning session, Elder Eyring as 2nd Counselor, moved into his new seat on the stand. Unfortunately, they didn't show this on TV, but when President Hinckley turned around, he stood there for a moment looking at Elder Eyring (probably with the little twinkle in his eye), then lifted his cane and 'knighted' him on his shoulder. That must have been a sight to see.







1 comment:
Thank you for sharing your insight on General Conference. It's funny how a lot of what stood out to you during conference was what I took for myself too. Especially making your home a pre missionary training center. I love the thought of that. I'm working on it right now.
Post a Comment